Friday, February 27, 2015

Why I sent my Kid to bed Without Dinner!

I am not going to make a comment on whether or not my 3 yr old is a picky eater, since nothing's Black or White. And especially since every time I've made a comment in the past, his habits happen to detoriate the very next day. it's like a jinx!

So yes there are ebbs and flows. Sometimes it's great sometimes it's not. It doesn't affect me anymore. But what I have little tolerance for is being 'ultra' picky. Something I've seen in even ADULTS. Families where the mother cooks five different things since five different family member have different preferences and dislikes.

I understand health reasons, like not eating red meats to control cholesterol. Or allergies (to my readers from the west: food allergies in India are rare! I've yet to come across an Indian living in India who is allergic to peanuts or milk! Except for his school, no one even bothers to ask!) Or diets, such as I avoid sugar, potatoes and food that hasn't been cooked the same day (To my readers from the west: in India, whether or not we have help, we cook fresh food EVERY SINGLE DAY! The only thing we freeze is ice and raw meats!).


But c'mon there needs to be a common ground where MOST meals are included!


 

We eat three to four times a day, and kids eat even more frequently. That's 1,460 meals a year per person and 87,600 meals in a lifetime of 60 years! COME WHAT MAY, as much as you may try, crib or cry, it is just not possible to like each and every one of them! MOST of them will be STAPLES. In India, staple food is Rice+Rotis+ Lentils+Veggies and Sometimes Meats. So MOST meals WILL consist of these items. You may LOVE pizzas or Chinese take out- but it CANNOT be had 1460 times a year. It just can't! And even of you eat out, say 4 times a week, you still need to stick to staples 1,252 times a year!

And that's why it's important to be less fussy about everyday meals. Eat whatever is cooked at home. If not for your health, then at least for the sanity of the cook!

This is why, when my kid threw a tantrum and refused to eat what was served, I simply put the plate back and sent him to bed. After a lot of kicking and screaming he ate about 1/4th of his dinner, he cried saying he was still hungry, but I stuck to my guns! Eat what was served or go to sleep!

I'm not a complete meanie! One thing he doesn't eat is spicy food, and I won't force him to eat food if it's spicy. And if he stops eating apples one fine day, I'll start offering oranges. And I never nag him to eat just that last bite, so the plates wiped clean. I respect that he's a person, not a machine, so sometimes he is crazy hungry and sometimes he eats light. He knows his tummy better! BUT IF HE IS HUNGRY, he better eat what what made at home!


P.S. He slept off ! And woke up next morning ravenously hungry! And I won't hesitate to stick to my guns again!


Until later! Stay in touch!



 Sign Up  |  Twitter  |  Pinterest | Facebook 

17 comments:

  1. I've done this as well. I fix what I fix, and if you don't like it, then you don't eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's whats for dinner! Eat it or go hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. The world won't end if your kid eats less or misses a meal- they will simply eat more at the next meal. Our home will never be a short-order kitchen.

    I stopped by from Titus-2-Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother always said, "This is what we're having. For those who like it, supper is ready. For those who don't, supper is over." And my mother said, "There are two choices for supper - Take It, or Leave It."

    I have to say that, I'm pleased that I do not have fussy children. But then I don't cater to them, either. With four children, if I did, I'd be cooking all day.

    I'm visiting you from Turn It Up Tuesday. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you learnt from the best! My kids not too fussy too thankfully, else I would've fallen into the trap of doing anything to have his belly full!

      Delete
  5. Good for you! We do the same thing in our house. You are not a meanie, you are teaching values. Good work Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not a short order cook. In our house you have to try one bit of everything, and if you don't like it you can be done until the next meal/snack. Preferably not kicking and screaming, but that's not really up to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a good habit! at least try before deciding to like or dislike it!

      Delete
  7. I SOOO like your attitude! You are right and home made food is the best for our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree--I cook and my family can eat it or not. But there will not be another meal made that night! Luckily both of my kids are great eaters and 99% of the time they eat what I cook and try new things. Thanks for linking up at #HomeMattersParty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! It's not easy sticking to those guns! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete